Date of publication: Nov 29, 2013
Section heading: Streets
Page number: 004
Byline / Author: By Robin Augustin
KUALA LUMPUR: THE recent announcement to proceed with the assessment rate hike has upset Bandar Tun Razak folk who want to see the plan cancelled altogether.
Many visitors to the bustling night market of Taman Connaught stopped to sign a petition against the proposed rate hike.
Organised by the MCA Bandar Tun Razak division, the campaign aims to get 10,000 signatures which will be submitted to mayor Datuk Seri Ahmad Phesal Talib.
Since the campaign started last week, more than 3,000 people have signed the petition.
"The cost of living in the city is very high. This is compounded with the implementation of the GST (Goods and Services Tax) and subsidy cuts, which will burden people even more," said division's deputy chairman Ng Choon Hua.
He said City Hall did not need to raise the assessment rate as it already had a surplus budget for operational costs and revenue.
"Furthermore, the increase would be unjustified as the level of service from City Hall is poor," said Ng, citing the deplorable level of cleanliness as well as the poor condition of roads and facilities in the area.
Ng said the campaign would continue until the proposal to increase the assessment rate was scrapped.
Ho Wai Peng, a resident who is facing a 215 per cent increase in assessment rate, said the rate should remain as it is.
"We are already paying more due to the petrol and sugar subsidy cuts, but our salary is not going up."
Another resident, Kenny Chong, said it would be better if City Hall canceled the proposed hike.
"There should be no increase of rates at all," he said, adding that any increase would face objections due to the high cost of living.